New York (CNN) — Florida State University quarterback Jameis Winston was awarded the 79th Heisman Trophy on Saturday, an honor that comes amid lingering questions about a rape allegation that has cast a pall over his claim to the coveted bronze statue.
Winston, who was considered a frontrunner by many college analysts, led the top-ranked Seminoles as a freshman to an undefeated regular season and a chance to play for a national championship in January.
“It’s a blessing. I don’t even know what’s going on right now, honestly. I’m just so happy. I’m overwhelmed,” Winston told an audience during the presentation in New York.
But even as Winston became only the second redshirt freshman to win the Heisman, questions swirled about a rape allegation made against him more than a year ago but made public only last month.
- Jameis Winston Wins the Heisman Trophy (ktla.com)
- More famous Jameis: Winston wins Heisman Trophy (suntimes.com)
- COLLEGE FOOTBALL: More famous Jameis: Winston wins Heisman Trophy (pottsmerc.com)
- More famous Jameis: Winston wins Heisman Trophy (sacbee.com)
- Photos: Florida State Seminoles Quarterback Jameis Winston wins Heisman (photos.mercurynews.com)
- Jameis Winston runs away with 2013 Heisman Trophy (collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- Florida State’s Jameis Winston Wins Heisman Trophy (thedailyblogreport.wordpress.com)
- Florida State QB Jameis Winston wins Heisman Trophy (thenewsdoctors.com)
- FSU QB Jameis Winston wins Heisman Trophy (bataviasbest.com)