- “Sometimes you want to be able to share not with everyone, but just a specific group,” Instagram founder Kevin Systrom said at the company’s announcement in New York.
An update to the Facebook-owned Instagram mobile app released Thursday includes a new tab labeled, “direct,” Users can tap that tab to send photos specifically to their friends and have conversations around those photos. There will also be a new option to “send to 1” on the app.
The direct messaging feature will work in real time, enabling users to tell which of their friends have viewed the photo. They’ll also be able to chat with friends in real time.
- Sexting Comes to Instagram (gizmodo.com)
- How To Use The New Instagram Messaging Feature That Just Launched Today (businessinsider.com)
- Too Different, Not Different Enough: Why Instagram Direct May Fail (newspodge.wordpress.com)
- Instagram Direct image and video messaging arrives with v5.0 update (androidcommunity.com)
- New Instagram Feature: Direct Messaging (socialmediaservants.wordpress.com)
- Instagram Introduces Instagram Direct (techcrunch.com)
- How To Use The New Instagram Messaging Feature That Just Launched Today (embargozone.com)
- Yep, Instagram just got private messages: what you need to know about Instagram Direct (digitaltrends.com)
- Instagram’s New Photo Messaging Feature Is A Strong Response To Snapchat (businessinsider.com)